Founded in 2002, Malta Air Traffic Services Ltd is responsible for the provision of air navigation services and air traffic management for the Maltese islands and the Malta Flight Information Region. Following years as part of the Civil Aviation Department, as a limited company, MATS assumed control of all air traffic, technical support services for all the Communication, Navigation, Surveillance infrastructure, and provision of Aeronautical Information Management in accordance with the Air Navigation License granted by the Civil Aviation Directorate of Transport Malta (TM-CAD).
MATS is in compliance with International Standards, Recommended Practices, and EU Regulations, including BV ISO 9001-2015. MATS was a forefront with the implementation of European Union initiatives such as Reduced Vertical Separation Minima, Free Route Airspace and Performance Based Navigation – all projects implemented with the interest of the airspace users, cost efficiency, as well as the environment never at the cost of safety.
In the near future, MATS will be embarking on new projects which will include:
Implementation of CPDLC – Controller Pilot Data Link Communications (CPDLC)
Performance Based Navigation – redesign of the Terminal Airspace to enable Continuous Climb / Decent Operations
Digital Tower Set Up aided with Advanced Surface Movement Guidance and Control System
MATS Ltd employs 170 + competent personnel, over 110 of whom are licensed certified in accordance with international standards and national regulations.
To be recognised as one of the Euro-Mediterranean region’s most respected Air Navigation Service Providers:
- in the eyes of our airspace users for our safety and security performance record;
- in the eyes of our customers for our cost effectiveness, service and efficiency; and
- in the eyes of our employees for establishing a motivating and satisfying workplace within a Just Culture environment as well as providing opportunities for an inspiring career.
We seek continuous improvement of safety, security, efficiency, environmental responsibility, and excellence. We are responsible to the general public, users of our airspace and all our stakeholders.
- Safety and Security are our priority. We strive so that all users of our airspace travel safely through our airspace.
- Excellence is our promise. We endeavour to achieve results that represent professionalism, transparency, and accountability.
- People are our strength. Our success depends on the esteem, teamwork, and commitment of our workforce.
- Integrity is our benchmark. We accomplish our duties honestly, with moral soundness, and with the highest level of moral principles.
- Innovation is our mark. We promote creativity and vision to afford continuous improvement of our services.
Malta Air Traffic Services Ltd,
Gate 4, Malta International Airport,
Mqabba MQB 9057
VAT No: MT1626-6511